BBC — A new exhibition aims to celebrate the role Muslims played in saving Jewish lives during the Holocaust.
The Righteous Muslim Exhibition is being launched at the Board of Deputies of British Jews in Bloomsbury, central London.
Photographs of 70 Muslims who sheltered Jews during World War II will be displayed alongside stories detailing their acts of heroism.
The exhibition hopes to inspire new research into instances of collaboration between the Muslim and Jewish communities.
Yad Vashem, Israel’s official memorial to victims of the Holocaust, honours nearly 25,000 so-called “righteous persons” who risked their lives to protect the Jewish community during Nazi Germany’s reign of terror.
Some 70 Muslims have recently been added to the list. The exhibition explores their stories.
'Empathy and cohesion'
Among the “righteous” are the Hardaga family from Bosnia who provided shelter for the Jewish Kavilio family when German forces occupied Bosnia in 1943.
Half a century later, the Hardagas were themselves saved by the Kavilios during the Bosnian Civil War.
Photograph: The Bosnian Hardaga family helped shelter a family of Jews
- jomanthaposts likes this
- xabier-alonso-olano reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- ynwasophie reblogged this from martinskr37l
- martinskr37l reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- fragranceofconviction reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- wheezelys likes this
- doodlesanddiscord reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- doodlesanddiscord likes this
- bradsdabomb reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- bradsdabomb likes this
- andnonefornonsensebye reblogged this from lemonade-cat
- itoruna likes this
- eisbrecher reblogged this from historyfanatic
- historyfanatic reblogged this from suiseiusagi
- deenalhaq likes this
- yorokobinonatsu likes this
- miracleoforacles reblogged this from reallifemuslimgirl
- tamihf likes this
- theculturedmind reblogged this from theculturedsoul
- mizglaszes likes this
- theculturedsoul reblogged this from thekhalathatruinseid
- thenodoer reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- thenodoer likes this
- last-twist-of-the-knife likes this
- aishahussain786 likes this
- ziyadrazali reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- ziyadrazali likes this
- inflxential likes this
- iesha10messi likes this
- musurima likes this
- sweetserendipity201012 reblogged this from cravinghope
- wawagunk likes this
- hellotothebeautifulyou likes this
- cravinghope reblogged this from diamondfuture
- cravinghope likes this
- los-suspiros-del-moro likes this
- fobmagnet likes this
- diamondfuture reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- likearavenandawritingdesk likes this
- dysfunctionaldollparts reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- nawfuckdat reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- nawfuckdat likes this
- fsquared26 reblogged this from confuddledandmuddled
- confuddledandmuddled likes this
- confuddledandmuddled reblogged this from thekhalathatruinseid
- fearthenobody reblogged this from thereligionofpeace
- marycmpbell reblogged this from queerstiels
- happykeycharmz likes this
- hamooza93 likes this